Thursday, February 15, 2007

My SCA Persona

My first post is to introduce myself in the SCA. I am a poet by trade, but also enjoy the pursuits of illumination, music, target archery and half a dozen other arts. Here is my story.


Isabella (Ambrogini) Poliziana ( Montepulciano, Tuscany) (02/28/1465 – 05/05/1526) (We have the same birthday LOL)

My father Benedetto, a jurist of good family and distinguished ability, was murdered by political antagonists for adopting the cause of Lorenzo di Piero de' Medici in Montepulciano in May of 1464. This circumstance gave his children a claim on the family of Medici.


Angelo, my brother and future poet, teacher, and scholar of Italy, was taken to Florence in 1469 at the age of ten and placed in school under the court of Medici. I was also taken to court at the age of 8 after our mother's death in 1473. I was taught to read and write by my brother and showing a remarkable skill and ability in the arts became a favorite of Clarice Orsini, the wife of Lorenzo de Medici and Queen of Florence (age 20 ). The baby Lucrezia, their first child, (at 3 years old), and I also got along very well and were play companions despite the differences of our ages. For several years the the two of us were schooled and played together and were introduced to many influencial people such as Leonardo da Vinci, Donatello, Sandro Botticelli and Michelangelo Buonarroti and others who frequented the the Medici court.


In 1477 Angelo was banished from the court by Clarice and I was feeling unsure of my place when Margret of York, a well know patron of the arts in England, was passing through in 1478 on a pilgrimage, and became enchanted with me and my gifts in poetry, art, and music. Margret had said goodby to her stepdaughter the year before, when she married Archduke Maximilian of Austria, and missed having a young girl around the house as she had no children of her own. She advised me that she would be my patron if I would return with her to Bruges (Belgium). I agreed and at the age of 13 traveled to England to live in the household of Margret of York. It was in this household that I learned the art of illumination from the Netherlandish Painter Simon Marmion, another of Margret's supported artest. After the death of her brothers, King Henry IV and Richard III, Margret became a staunch supporter of anyone who apposed Henry VII, and because of the danger of living in the household of York during the War of the Roses, I became skilled in use of the bow as well.


In 1482, Margret's daughter Marie de Bourgogne, died in a riding accident and her two children came to live with Margret. At the age of 17, I became their teacher until they returned home to Rome with their father. Margret died when I was 38 at Mechelen (Belgium) in 1503. I had lived in her household for 25 years and was bereft.

Knowing that I had no home or family to return to, I sent letters pleading with Giovanni di Lorenzo de' Medici, who was the second son of Lorenzo and Orsini, (both dead by this time as well as my childhood playmate Lucrezia), for a place to live. Giovanni, was well known for his generous nature, remembered me from his childhood fondly, and made a place for me in his household where I continued my art, music, and writings. Givanni became Pope Leo X, from 1513 until his death in 1521, and traveled to many contries with lavish parades and pets taking his household with him so I developed a well rounded world view and learned the poet styles of many countries.

As Pope Leo X, Givanni had Martin Luthor exomunicated on Jan 3, 1521 for Luthor's public burning of the Pope's demand to retract 41 of his 95 theses and then died soon afterwards. Taking his death to be a sign from God, I beseached Martin Luthor to be allowed to join his cause and with my experience and artestic abilities, he agreed. I spent the last years of my life living at Wartburg Castle in Germany in the household of Martin Luthor, writing and illuminating for the prodastant reformation until my death in 1526 at the age of 61.

No comments: