Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Dark Road Taken

What doubt the night that never ends,
Seems to feed into my soul.
The peddled wheels spin round and round
Traveling a road I cannot see.

The choice was always mine to make
It seemed to me the way to truth
Unlike the illusion of dim streetlights
And worth the sacrifice to be made.

I want to claim I didn't know
The path I chose would be this dark.
Except to say that is a lie
Gad made it clear at the journey's start.

The dream I was living wasn't real
And the way to truth a ragged road
With hidden pits that were dark and deep
Cutting through a forest filled with night.

But the choice was always mine to make
And I thought the price was worth the cost
So I faced the dark road and my tears
Sure I would make it to journey's end.

In false humility and arrogant pride
With a touch of fear with determined set
Trusting first in my own strength
God's only job to point the way.

But I never dreamed this journey's path
Long past hope and signs of life
Exhausted muscles faltering from strain,
And the heart stuttering in unbearable emptiness.

That I would find myself still on the road
Alone in the dark with but a memory of hope
Struggling to understand and overcome.
With nothing, but faith to hold me true.

And so, I keep riding and cannot look back
God grants me strength at the end of myself
And I ride in the darkness if need be forever
My only companion a memory of hope.

Rebecca
10/29/07

No comments: