Thursday, March 15, 2007

For my dad who drown in 1994

At The Setting Of The Sun

Larry Wayne Franklin
08/30/39 to 11/11/94

How can you be gone
When your boat is in it’s place,
Lines and lures are put away
In your tackle box and case?

How can you be gone
When the time for work is done,
And your truck is at the shop
At the setting of the sun?

How can you be gone
When the holidays are near,
All the food is on the table
But your laughter I don’t hear?

How can you be gone
When it’s time for spring’s first green,
And we wait to hear the words
That describe your favorite scene?

But the words will not be spoken
And the holidays are sad,
Because the things we thought important
Are not the things we wish we had.

Now we’ll never know your footsteps
At the setting of the sun,
And your lines and lures are stored
Now your fishing days are done.


Rebecca

2 comments:

Raymond the Scot said...

I lost my father 4 years ago to leukemia. He remains a shadow coloring my existence in all the things I never realized he was teaching me. Very good poe.

Rebecca at the Well said...

My dad drown on a fishing trip in 1994. I still miss him. Thanks.